Actually the lighthouse top is not accesible.
Known popularly as the Vilanova Lighthouse, it is one of the twenty still in operation along the Catalan coast.
The first maritime signal was beamed onto the Vilanova beach in 1834, but it had limited height and light projection.
In 1847, when the Vilanova coastline was excluded from the first general maritime lighting plan on the Spanish coast, the city’s captains and sailors lobbied for a lighthouse to be built. This was granted owing to the large volume of maritime traffic, particularly the large vessels used in the trade with the colonies, and also the city’s gradual modernisation.
So, in 1864 the General Department of Public Works began the lighting plan along the coasts and awarded the new lighthouse project to the builder, Antoni Pons. This lighthouse, run on fuel, was opened in 1866. It had a seven-metre tower that rose up in the centre of the building that was used as the lighthouse keeper’s home, and it projected a fixed red light, visible at 9 nautical miles (17 Km).
The need for a stronger beam came evident in 1898 when a new tower was approved. This time is was 21 metres tall, the third order, and the beam signal could be seen at 19 nautical miles (35 Km). The new lighthouse had a spiral staircase with 98 steps, and it was lit in 1905. The lighthouse keeper’s house was also extended.
It has been working ever since and was only switched off during the Civil War from 13 February to March in 1939. Today the lighthouse is managed by Port de Barcelona.
Name: St Cristòfol (St. Christopher)
National number: 29340
International number: E-0396
Co-ordinates: 41º 13,0’ N 01º 44,2’ E
Range: 19 nautical miles (35.188 Km.)
Focal plane elevation: 27 m
Lighting characteristics: 3 flashes every 8”
Fotografies: Pep Parer